Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my blog. This is a compilation of travel stories, photos and places that I have visited over the years (although once in a while I will include places that I WANT to visit!). I love to travel and am also a bit of a "foodie" so every now and then I will probably start talking about my favorite restaurants too. Enjoy!
-Deborah

Sunrise at Kruger National Park, South Africa

Monday, February 8, 2010

Del Mar Cliff Walk (San Diego, CA)


This week I decided to enjoy a break in the rain and take my favorite walk along the cliffs in Del Mar. Yes, shocking as this may be -- I am taking a break from my recent Africa trip postings to salute this beautiful town that I have had the pleasure of living in for the past 2 years.Ever since my brother and his wife introduced me to this Del Mar "local" experience I have been in awe of the beauty of this place -- the cliffs high above the beach with The Coaster railroad tracks running along and with sweeping views north to Del Mar and south to La Jolla.












During the summer season when the beaches further into town and towards Torrey Pines get jammed and parking becomes a nightmare, you can always slip into a spot in the neighborhood above the cliffs and then walk down to the beach. Just go down Del Mar Heights road towards Hwy 101 and at the light, go across into the neighborhood - make a right on Strattford and park on any of the streets between 4th and 12th (each street dead-ends into the top of the cliff walk). Now once you get to the train tracks you have three options: 1) walk north along the tracks towards Del Mar and take the easy way down; 2) walk south to Torrey Pines beach and cruise down easily; or 3) climb down one of the cliff trails -- a little scary the first few times but if guys (and gals) with surfboards can do it, so can you! Anyway, once you make it to the beach, you can usually get some peace and quiet during the summer season and just enjoy the sun and surfers!



Okay, so back to my walk... I took my camera this time because I have been obsessed with the beauty of the cliffs, the beach and... the train tracks. Yes, the train tracks! For some reason I just love everything about them and the way they create a cool contrast to the waves and the beach scene below.



I hope you enjoyed this glimpse into one of my favorite San Diego places. Maybe I'll see you along the cliffs some day soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment


South African Wildflowers